Sunday, May 30, 2010

We Made it!



We made it!  It just seemed like everything was going in our favor to get to Korea.  We left for the airport and made record time.  When we got to remote parking, we found a spot right by the tram.  As we came up the escalator with our bags, the tram pulled up and we were the first stop.  Our flight was on-time and very full!  As we were told, Asiana was wonderful!  Honestly, the best food I've ever had on a flight.  Matt and I both tried the Bibimbap-Yummy!  Our snack was a ham sandwich and for breakfast we had cheese blitz (korean pancake), yogurt, croissant, hash browns, ham slices, and fresh fruit.   We were stuffed!  The flight attendants walked around with drinks on a tray on and off throughout the flight.  We watched Sherlock Holmes and The Lightning Thief.  I was told they kept the flights warm and I wasn't looking forward to that.  I sleep better with a blanket.  I think it is just a security thing for me.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was very cool on the flight.  I never sleep on planes but I did on this one.  Okay....it could have been the combo of my meds but I did sleep!  LOL!  We had a little moderate turbulence over Canada but nothing frightening.

When we arrived in Seoul (1/2 hour early) we got our bags, rented our cell phone, and exchanged our money.  The airport limousine (big blue coach bus) was right outside.  Our bus was just getting ready to leave when we pulled up-just made it!  It took a little over an hour to get to the hotel.  The bus stop is almost right outside our hotel entrance.  Very convenient!  Since it was only 8 am in Seoul, we left our bags at the hotel and went for a walk.  Not much was open since it was Sunday and very early.  Still, it was fun to see the sites.  The weather here is very nice-mid-70s and sunny.  My allergies that were bothering me are gone.  Guess the pollen isn't as bad here.  :)  We stopped by the Paris Baguette and had a drink and pastry.  By this time, we were starting to hit a wall.  We decided to go back to our hotel, Fraser Place Central and relax in the lobby.  After about 20 minutes or so, Matt asked about an early check-in.  They said they had put a priority on cleaning our room but it may not be ready until noon.  They were so accommodating and said we could use their spa to freshen up or go to the second floor for a complimentary coffee/tea.  We decided to take them up on the offer of free drinks and headed upstairs.  The young woman working was very sweet and talked with us for awhile.  Shortly afterwards the receptionist came in and gave us our room keys! 

When we got to our room, we were so exhausted.  Matt opened the door and soft music was playing.  At first, I thought we had gone into someone else's room by mistake.  It was ours and beautiful.  We have a 1 bedroom deluxe suite.  It actually has 2 bathrooms, kitchenette, dining area, couch with tv and separate bedroom.  The view is wonderful of the city.  We even get a complimentary breakfast buffet.  For my fellow Korea APs, this is a really nice place to stay and a great value. 

When we settled in, we decided to take a little nap and catch a late lunch.  Well, when we woke up after 5 pm we decided to get dinner.  We must have needed the rest!  We found an Outback Steakhouse down the way and had a nice meal.  Tomorrow we are going to try the Seoul City Bus Tour.   I can't believe we are really here!

7 comments:

  1. Wow that looks SO nice, makes me really look forward to our trip! Sounds like you had a fantastic trip over. Have fun on your tour tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad your traveling went well! Your room looks really nice. I'm jealous that you ate at Paris Baguette. :) Enjoy your sight-seeing tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! so glad you guys made it there safely. WOW, those pics are awesome and what a great looking room you guys have. Can you believe you are going to finally meet your sweet Minah tomorrow. It is 10:45 om on Sunday night here in the US, so you may even have Minah is your arms right now. I am really interested to hear what you think of S. Korea in relation to China. Is it a big difference? Can't wait for the next update! :)

    Hugs,
    Jonni

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, I also forgot to ask, do you get to stay in Seoul the entire time? Also, the streets look less crowded and everything looks so clean and organized.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I missed the part about Outback the first time I read the post. Wow, sounds like a great place.

    Hugs,
    Jonni

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear your travels went smoothly! We missed you at the picnic today but I'm sure you're having a better time there. Your hotel sounds wonderful! Can't wait to hear about your Minah meeting!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Beth! I can't believe you are finally there. Your hotel suite looks like a cute little city apartment ... very nice!

    I'm catching up on your blog and can't wait to read if you have Minah yet :)

    Debra

    ReplyDelete